Project Africa Fundraising
We have several ways of raising money for Project Africa outside the normal fundraising projects of the food bank.
We’ve held a number of great dining events to raise funds and awareness of our work in Africa. A Namibian Night to Remember (2007) and Take a Walk on the Wild Side (2008) raised $15,000 and nearly $20,000, respectively. Silent auctions and quilt raffles at the events helped to raise the totals. More recently (July 2010), GTO's Seafood House in Sebastopol, generously donated a percentage of their sales to benefit Project Africa; combined with contributions from diners that night, we raised over $2,300.
Other projects have ranged from per-mile pledges for a FFT volunteer who walked across England (2007) andScotland (2008), and a local artist who has donated proceeds from a three-month show of his work in Sebastopol. We’ve raffled off quilts, and several kind people have organized wonderful house parties. A local physician, in planning her retirement dinner, graciously requested that donations be made to Project Africa in lieu of gifts.
There are several ways for you to support Project Africa:
- PurchaseNamibian crafts from our store, FFT Antiques & Collectibles in Sebastopol.
- Contribute to our Pennies for Porridge jars on display at local businesses.
- Participate as a volunteer or join our planning committee by calling Elisa Baker, Volunteer Manager at 707-887-1647 ext. 103.
- Ask to be on our mailing list to be informed of upcoming fundraising events.
- Purchase wine from Russian River Vineyards that are specially designated to raise funds for Project Africa.
- Make a cash donation.
A significant portion of the money we raise comes from generous individuals who donate directly to Project Africa. If you’d like to do this, please click on the Make a Donation link to your left and write “Project Africa” in the comments box. We’ll make sure your money helps to feed children in Africa.
Project Africa has its own fundraising and planning committee: Anna Baylor,Rachel Gardner, Doug Gosling, Peaches Henning, Ron Karp, Katherine Kendall, Allen Odom, Nancy Wright, and Sarah Wright.